Sunday, December 19, 2004

New Years Bliss

Being virtually the only single person in my entire group of friends has just bitten me in the ass once again. I decided to come back for New Years from my trip home because, for the first year in a long time, nothing much seemed to be going on there. I am not a fan of the New Year, and I figured I would just do something casual here. The Aussie and my old roomate said, not to worry, we will figure out something casual to do by the time you get back. I just spoke to my other old roommate and mentioned that vague plan when she said, oh, well do you want to come to Jack and Lana's with us? Apparently the Aussie couple was planning to do that as well all along. Well, I immediately felt like jumping off my balcony. That is a group of couples that do couple things. I can not stand it. They are all nice people but it is my worst nightmare.

I had a fit and then decided to cancel my plans home and go south or to London last minute, only when I was investigating the possibility, I realized that in my recent break-in, they had stolen my passport. Those plans are out of the question. Now I am tossing around the idea of telling people here that I am staying home for New Years but coming back anyway and just staying here by myself. The only problem with that is I would have to make up a story about my night, rather than admit to watching movies alone, when everyone and their dog asks the obligatory question, "what did you do for New Years?". I could go to this party that a friend of mine is throwing at a club, but then they all have their signifiacnt others with them. I could still go, and at 11:58, sneak out or go to the washroom to avoid the moment of watching everyone else kiss, desperately looking relaxed at being kissless, or grabbing a couple and kissing them both, all the while laughing my good-natured single laugh. This is pathetic and horrible and desperate. Even worse, this is nothing of the sorrow, the real sorrow that is out there in the world and I have no right to wallow in this shallow pool. What the fuck should I do???? I need to figure this out, and fast.

No comments: