Monday, October 09, 2006

blowing a super

I went to see The Trailer Park Boys last night, the Ivan Reitman film based on the television series. On the way into the theatre I slipped on a spilled drink and pretty much did the splits for the first time in my entire life. In the process I came down hard on my left knee.

"Are you ok?", I heard some guy asked. I didn't even look up.

"I'm fine, thanks."

I got up as fast as I could.

By the time we turned the corner, my friend and I were in hysterics. I immediately took my hat and coat off so that none of the MILLION people who watched me wipe out would recognize me if they saw me upstairs. At this point my knee was starting to THROB. I got some ice in a cup and took it into the theatre.

***
I grew up close to where the movie is set (in Nova Scotia). I feel a little nostalgic about the whole thing because in many ways it reminds me of home. For example, while I myself did not grow up in a place like that, a dealer from a trailer park that I went to highschool with taught me how to play pool - an invaluable skill that has impressed many a good-looking guy (if they weren't first immasculated by having theirs ass kicked by a girl). A friend of the dealer's also blew me my first super (if you don't know what that is than you probably shouldn't). The movie was very funny and had some cute inside nods - Gord Downie played a cop, there was some jailhouse shinny, and Bubbles woke up to his clock radio, singing along to the Vogue Optical commercial, which anyone from NS would know by heart. Of course the movie was over the top, but I liked it.

About 20 minutes in, the projector had a meltdown and the movie stopped. The room went black. The audience booed, threw out the odd f-bomb, and one guy called out "Marco!". Someone in my row who had a magnalite key chain projected his hand onto the screen, to the applause of the audience. He turned it off after a brief show and people yelled, "More! More!". He turned the light back on and gave us all the finger. A few minutes later an employee walked in and made an announcement in broken english.

"My apologies. Please bear with us-"

"Bear? What? There's a bear in here?", some guy yelled.

"Um, ah, um, we are looking into the problem."

After about ten minutes the movie came back on. Later, as we left the theatre, the employee and his colleague stood at the door and handed out movie vouchers. Among the comments I heard in reaction to the free movie:

"This rocks."
"Fuckin' A"
"Ahhh, choice!"
"Yeah, boy-eeeees"
"That's the shit!"
"Sweet"

Gotta love the crowd.

Anyway, now I'm home icing and elevating a purple swollen knee. But it was worth it.

Actually, my attorney was with me when the whole thing happened. On the advise of my attorney, I'm going to go blow myself a super.

1 comment:

(S)wine said...

what the fuck does that mean--blow a super?

also, it's ADVICE of my attorney.

bastard attorneys.