Sunday, November 25, 2007

belle ville

I sink deeper, until the water is just millimetres from grazing the phone.

"How do you spell his last name?", Lana asks.

"Colville. C-O-L-V-I-L-L-E. Like Belleville."

I can hear her typing on the other end. I sink a hair deeper.

"Lana....I'm sinking....", I say in a faraway voice. "In case you don't hear from me again, thanks for being such a great friend."

"Are you in the tub?"

"Uhuh". I slide back up a little. I feel like I'm seven.

Silence on the other end and then after a little while she let's me know she's still looking.

"Luke", I say in deep voice. "I am your father."

She ignores me.

Like every time I get in the tub, after only minutes I'm antsy. The water line tickles my forearms. I cradle the phone in my neck to scratch.

"Alright. Sounds like you're not finding anything."

"Yeah, nothing."

"Ok, gotta go. Talk to you tomorrow."

I put the phone down on the toilet seat cover and I sink under the hot water, my long hair circling like sea grass.

3 comments:

Jeans Pants said...

Hopefully this will be the last comeback I make because honesty I miss your blogs.

Anonymous said...

Heya,
Missing reading your beautiful words Rachel. Hope everything is okay with you.
Liz xx

Rachel said...

Everything is ok. Thanks for asking. I just haven't been up to writing much lately. Thanks for checking in. I'm sure I'll have something to say soon enough.