Wednesday, September 13, 2006

stuck on obstetrics

I'd been studying for the US nursing board exams and I was doing so well keeping up with it...until lately. I stopped partway through obstetrics. I guess I got busy with the weddings and my own personal misery. I'm just plain stuck in general, but lately everything seems to hinge on obstetrics. I was on my way to Costco with Lana, one of my three pregnant friends, and I told her about my dream.

"Last night I dreamt I was pregnant".

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, although I wasn't showing much yet. It was like I was as far along as you are, but somehow it was time to have the baby, so I ran a warm bath and I got in. It was like a big bathtub - jacuzzi-sized."

"You were going to have an under-water birth?", Lana asked laughing.

She changed lanes, cutting off a a range rover. They honked at her but she didn't seem to notice.

"I don't know. I guess", I continued. "You were there and Shoshi. There were a few other people too but I don't think I could see their faces. Anyway, you guys were all sitting around the edge of the tub. There were no contractions, at least none that I could feel so I was confused. I asked you guys, 'Do I just try and push or do I wait until I feel like it?' No one could answer my questions. I started to worry that, what if it wasn't my time and I had brought you guys all there for nothing. I didn't know what to do. Should I play along? Push even though I wasn't really in labour? I thought maybe if I push hard enough, it would start."

"What happened?"

"I don't know - I guess I woke up."

"Too funny. I had a dream last night about my old Uncle Leo. He was outside my house, sitting in the drivers seat of a school bus. Everyone was coming up to me and saying, 'Do something! You gotta get your Uncle Leo off the bus.' He's been dead for years - I barely even knew him. I wonder why I'd be dreaming about him?"

It was my turn to laugh. "Poor Uncle Leo."

***

When I was eight or nine, reading 'Are You There G-d it's Me Margaret' for the fifth time, I dreamt I jumped up and down really hard and I got my period. It was so real and I wanted my period so badly that when I woke up, I decided to try it. With my eyes barely open and a bad case of bed head, I stood in the center of my bedroom, between the twin beds. I jumped, but even before I started, I knew it wasn't going to work. For a moment or two I pretended not to know, but I knew.

"Whats going on up there?!?!" My Mother yelled from the kitchen.

"Nothing! I tripped, that's all."

"Well cut it out!"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

women just have a whole other universe going on. my dreams about myself and my future just involve me getting fat, bald or dying. pretty uncomplicated.

(S)wine said...

mine almost always have something to do with missing a ride/train/flight/way to get home. i'm always left behind in some strange land. i never had a dream about being anxious of getting fat, though. or bald. Chap, you're STALANGE.

Anonymous said...

i never said i wasn't strange. i don't dream of being ANXIOUS of being fat. i just AM fat, and/or bald. then i wake up and am (sort of) relieved.

Rachel said...

So many of my dreams involve trying to escape a murderer or an intruder, trying to dial 911 and I keep mis-dialing or the phone keeps ringing and no one answers, and/or my cell phone battery is almost dead. Its harrowing.

I save worrying about being fat for my real life. Speaking of poor body image, I can't figure out why guys are so worried about their hairlines. I don't find receding or balding a turn-off, fyi.

(S)wine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
(S)wine said...

i'm not worried about mine.
every summer i shave it off anyway.
plus, loss of hair means abundance of testosterone--hence virility.
know'm sayin?

Rachel said...

The people I really feel bad for in the hair dep't are the women with alopecia. THAT would suck. I hope I never lose my hair.

Rachel said...

And nice pic LX. You look adorable in white.